1911: National Radical School is established by group of European intellectuals to ensure Jewish survival and continuity in the new homeland, based on a progressive educational sy
1914: Jewish People’s Schools (Yiddishe Folks Shulen) is founded by a splinter group of the National Radical School. While continuing to foster modern pedagogic approaches, Hebrew was put on an equal footing with Yiddish. Classes took place in a house and assemblies were in the living room. The teachers were volunteers who had other jobs, such as selling eggs. The uniform for girls was a tunic with a white blouse; for boys it was pants and a clean shirt. Tuition was 10 cents per child per week. A family with three children benefitted from a discount, paying 25 cents per week.
1920: The first Jewish kindergarten is founded.
1922: First graduating class from what was then known as the afternoon school.
1923: National Radical School becomes known as Jewish Peretz Schools (Yiddishe Peretz Shulen). This group stressed Yiddish over Hebrew, but otherwise shared the same objectives.
1927: Jewish People’s School introduces the first Jewish day school in Montreal.
1942: Jewish Peretz Schools introduces its first day school, located in a newly-completed building on Duluth Street, almost immediately filled to capacity.
1954: Jewish People’s Schools moves to Van Horne campus.
1971: The schools merge to form JPPS - Jewish Peoples and Peretz Schools.
1972: Bialik High School is founded
2016: JPPS Elementary School moves from the Van Horne Campus to newly renovated, modern premises in the JPPS-Bialik Campus at 6500 Kildare.
We are grateful to the Archives Department of the Jewish Public Library for its cooperation and for allowing us to link to the treasure trove of photos in its collection. http://www.jewishpubliclibrary.org/blog/?page_id=30